Monday, December 22, 2008

Leadership Analogy

The other day I was trying to explain to one of my direct reports why I act the way I do in certain situations and I said, "I lead like a chess match rather than a marksman..."




I proceeded to explain that I occasionally struggle with "analysis paralysis" meaning that I'm so concerned about eliminating future moves by making a bad decision that I sometimes struggle to decide at all.





To run with the chess analogy, you can't set up the uber-powerful and strategic "castling" move (see the picture on the right) if you have made a mistake early on in the game and exposed your king to a "check" by the opponent. I have been blessed (and cursed) with an analytical mind. This means I generally have multiple scenarios running through my head for every decision I'm trying to make, big or small.



The strength: when I've got time to think and prepare I generally have contingencies covered and I make a complete decision.



The weakness: "Would you please just make a decision already...no one cares what the parking lot should look like in 35 years the traffic is backed up on 51!"



Some of you lead like a sawed off shot gun. You can pull the trigger quick and plaster the target with holes. You have your weaknesses too...I'm just saying!



I'm learning that the best leaders know their strengths and weaknesses and I'm thankful to have mentors and friends in my life who care enough about my development to point out my weaknesses so I can grow.


Get to know your style, and make provision for your weaknesses, it's the first step toward becoming more effective!

No comments: