Monday, May 12, 2008

If so, Then Christ Died for Nothing

[Read: Galatians 2:11-21]

Last week, on Monday and Tuesday, I was on jury duty. And, of course, out of the approximately fifty people who were serving with me, I was called to actually sit on the jury – that is, until they found out that I was a very conservative Southern Baptist Pastor with extreme views on things…

In the jury selection process, it became apparent that some of us did not really believe that the defendant was actually “innocent until proven guilty”. In fact, I had to admit that I had preconceived opinions about someone who finds their way to court, particularly as a defendant.

Now, I am very thankful for our legal system because if I ever found myself in the courtroom I would definitely ask that a juror like me be excused; I would want people on my jury that assumed I was innocent. However, my theological perspective doesn’t allow for presumed innocence - at least in the broad sense of the term.

In Galatians 2:15-19 we read that the law cannot declare us innocent or guilty. We are all guilty and Christ declares us innocent through His sacrifice. In other words, while I was sitting on the jury panel listening to the judges explanation of presumed innocence I could not get away from the fact that the defendant was guilty. He may not have been guilty of breaking the laws that he was on trial for, but he was guilty. Just like I’m guilty, and you’re guilty.

I think this passage of Scripture ought to make us jump up and down and celebrate because the facts are clear, “if I rebuild what I destroyed all that I prove is that I am a lawbreaker.” My effort will never prove my innocence, only my guilt; if it could prove my innocence, Christ died for nothing.

But praise God, that He has made a way for us through Christ Jesus our advocate. Interestingly enough, Jesus doesn’t presume our innocence either, He just absorbs the sentence…

Next post: “Paul vs. Peter”

No comments: