Thursday, May 1, 2008

I’m an Apostle NOT One-of-the-Boys (part 2)

[Read: Galatians 1:1 – 2:10]

Paul is not only defending his credibility (check out: “I’m Not a Fake”) as a witness to Christ, he is defending his authority as God’s chosen man. Paul made some waves (as we’ll see when we get to 2:11) and in order to be taken seriously he needed people to know that he had authority.

I referenced a Pastor who wanted to be “one-of-the-boys” here. The problem with this idea is that God’s calling isn’t an outfit. We can’t take the tie off on Sunday afternoon and quit being a Christian for 6 days. You’re either a believer or you’re not. Just like, you’re either a business man or you’re not. You’re either a parent or you’re not. And, as a parent, you are always “Mom” or “Dad”. No matter how old your kids are, you’re still “Mom” or “Dad”.

That’s what Paul is fighting for in this passage. He is not just Paul, the guy who used to persecute the church (1:23) he’s Paul, the apostle! He’s an eye witness to the Gospel of Christ (Acts 9), instated by Christ Himself (Galatians 1:1), and acknowledge by all the other apostles (Galatians 2:9). He is fighting for his title not because he has any interest in being personally exalted, but because he is a slave to the exaltation of Christ through his life (Romans 6:22, Philippians 1:13). In the same way, we have been given a ‘spiritual title’. That is, God has gifted us and placed us where we are to do what only we can do.

Here’s my modern application: at our church, we call our Pastor, Pastor Steven Furtick; by his title and his position rather than his name. You will never hear me refer to him as ‘Steven’ because it’s important to me that he isn’t just ‘one-of-the-boys’; there are thousands of people who can be ‘one-of-the-boys’. I don’t need another ‘Steven’ in my life, I need a Pastor. I need a man-of-God who I have placed in a position of authority and given the permission to call me out. I need him to carry the weight of the calling that God has placed on his life with authority and boldness. I need him to continue to proclaim all that God desires for him to say from the platform he has given him. And I have committed to honoring that calling with the practice of affirming it.

For those of you who are squirming a little while you’re reading this, don’t take my word for it. Re-read the section of Scripture we started with and imagine Paul is writing it to you; as if you are personally doubting Paul’s authority. Now, place your Pastor (boss, teacher, parent etc…) in Paul’s spot! It’s not about our recognition, it’s about His! We honor each other, we submit to each other, we respect each other because in that we revere Christ who established us in our places to begin with (Ephesians 5:21).

Shameless plug:
If you’re in Charlotte, you have got to get everyone you know to Elevation Church on Mother’s day. We’re starting a new series called Old Time Religion, and if this post got your wheels turning, Pastor Steven Furtick is going to wear out the tread during this next series!

Next Post: “If so, then Christ Died For Nothing”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,
I've enjoyed reading your comments on Galatians.
Mom Crosier

Anonymous said...

Good stuff.