Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Lopsided Approach to Lack...

Every time Heather and I get into a situation where money starts to get tight we end up having the same conversation, "We need to cut back!"

"Cut back" usually means stop eating out, buy less groceries, don't drive around so much, make coffee at home instead of going to Starbuck's (Heather's standard suggestion...).

If it's really tight we'll start thinking through other things we could cut: Cable? Internet? clothes? Heat?

In thinking through this the other day I realized that our approach is very lopsided. We are good at figuring out ways to cut back, but what about figuring out ways to increase our income?

If I'm at a yard sale with $50 bucks in my pocket and I see a nice Honda Collection, Project H leather jacket that a guy is selling for $100 I've got two options: talk him down (cut back) or go get more money (increase my income).

Here's the principal: if there's a shortage there are two streams to consider the one flowing in and the one flowing out.

In personal finances increasing your income is often not an option, especially in the short-term, but that just might be the answer in other areas of our life.

As a father I have it good right now, I've got one kid that gets my undivided attention. When I get a second, third and fourth kid, however, I can't approach my love for them with a "cut back" mentality. Dividing my love 4 ways won't benefit anyone in the end. No! I need to figure out how to increase my income. How to love 4 kids with the same intensity as I loved 1 which means I need to increase my income.

The same is true for you in many areas of your life. You're too busy at work to volunteer at church. But having a "cut back" mentality when the options are cheat my boss, or cheat God only guarantees that someone loses. Instead, do the hard work of figuring out how to maximize both options. Get creative and go for the win/win.

No comments: