Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Response to our Struggles

This was my response to a good friend's email earlier. He is going through a hard time and I wanted to encourage him. I have seen him at his highs and lows over the past year and a half and his integrity has endured. As a result, I can say with confidence that God is moving in His life even though the circumstances seem to point to His absence.

I wanted to share this email here because I believe many of you are going through the same challenges. The economy is bottoming out, your family is walking a tight rope, your spiritual strength is waning and you need to hear God's voice this morning. I hope getting to see a behind the scenes peak at my personal communication with a friend encourages you:

________________

I was reading in Nehemiah this morning writing furiously because God was speaking to me in a way that is atypical in my time with Him. Here is some of the fruit of what He taught me this morning...I think it might be for you too!

11 I went to Jerusalem, and after staying there three days 12 I set out during the night with a few men. I had not told anyone what my God had put in my heart to do for Jerusalem. There were no mounts with me except the one I was riding on.

13 By night I went out through the Valley Gate toward the Jackal [a] Well and the Dung Gate, examining the walls of Jerusalem, which had been broken down, and its gates, which had been destroyed by fire. 14 Then I moved on toward the Fountain Gate and the King's Pool, but there was not enough room for my mount to get through; 15 so I went up the valley by night, examining the wall. Finally, I turned back and reentered through the Valley Gate. 16 The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing, because as yet I had said nothing to the Jews or the priests or nobles or officials or any others who would be doing the work. (Nehemiah 2:11-16)

You are not at the peak of despair, but the beginning of the inspection process! The promise of God's Word is clear in this passage as it lands not on the frustration of the torn down walls, but on the promise of the work that will be done. It sounds like you've got some ruined walls in your life right now, but the walls are not the point, the walls only provide a good workshop for God to continue building his greatest work yet.

Know this: You are not trying to face life with the courage of a mighty warrior, you ARE a warrior and as such you HAVE courage! God has brought you this far and He is taking you on.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever. (Psalm 23)

You may be heading into the valley today, but God's plan always has been, and always will be, to take you THROUGH it! Don't faint in the process, embrace God's timing, continue to rely on Him and look forward to the day that you have come THROUGH the valley. By definition, there is always a mountain top on the other side of the valley.

________________
"Remember, the teacher is always silent during the test." - Pastor Steven

No comments: