Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Unexpected Blessing in Correction

Have you seen that Liberty Mutual commercial where the woman jerks the pizza guy out of traffic? Have you ever noticed the expression on the pizza guy's face? For a split second you can see him wondering why this lady is jerking on his arm but then, almost immediately, his expression changes to say, "Oh, I see, you just saved my life..."

The commercial goes on to show the chain reaction of nice things that ensues. It has a nice concept, but what I get stuck on is the pizza guy's face. In about a second he realizes that something he perceived initially as an attack was, in fact, a much needed correction. Had that woman not grabbed his arm he would have blindly wandered into traffic...



In real life there is sometimes a much longer time between our arm being jerked back and our realization that it was actually the best thing for us.



When we were kids we got frustrated with our parents because they made us do things, or tried to keep us from doing things. But as adults, we look back and think, "Oh, I see, you had my best interest at heart..."



When you are corrected it will sometimes take a while to see the benefit of that correction but if the person who is correcting you has your best interest at heart then you can accept it as the gift it is!

1 comment:

hcfischer1 said...

Ha! I know just what you mean ;) I think that runs in my family too.