Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Piece vs. Part

I was having a conversation with Heather about how things I oversee that seem unconnected actually fit together when I look at them from a high enough altitude. For instance, single women's small groups and new believer phone teams are not immediately connected, but both of them fall under my leadership. In the midst of this conversation I made the following statement:

I'm not looking for another piece, I need a part...

For me, there is a significant difference between a piece and a part:
A piece may be attached to an object, but a part in incorporated into it.
A piece may not be integral to the whole, but the whole without a part is broken.
A piece stands alone, but a part is nothing without considering the whole.
You can have a piece of anything, but you can only have a part from within a whole.

At Elevation we want people to become a part of the movement of God in our midst. To leverage their gifts, talents and resources to advance a common vision and purpose to see people far from God filled with life in Christ. The people who are just a piece, or, who just want a piece are going to miss out on the fulfillment that comes from being a part.

So here's the good news, if you have been a piece up to this point you can change that today. Even a piece of pie can become part of the meal.

No comments: