Monday, March 17, 2008

The Curse of Freedom

We all think freedom is always good all the time.

When we feel like our freedom is being limited we get a little feisty - such as when the boss cracks down on the time you spend at lunch, or your bank changes its policies on fees.

On the other hand, When we feel like we might gain more freedom we fight for it. We get our driver's license 30 seconds after we turn 16. Or, we work really hard to gain the ability to control our own schedules at work.

Sure, when I wasn't married and didn't have kids I was more flexible - I had more freedom. Now that I'm married and I have a kid (check out the pictures on the right) - there are more "constraints" on my time.

But here's my point: freedom, when we mean "lack of responsibility", never happens; it's a lie that we chase. True freedom comes when we accept our limitations and work within the boundaries of our reality.

In other words, freedom isn't escaping from my family responsibilities it's learning how to accept the new challenges and love my family fully within the new limits. Freedom isn't rebelling in my job, but accepting the constraints and excelling within the boundaries that have been set.

The type of freedom that rejects responsibility isn't freedom at all, it's a curse! Philippians 4:11-13 makes this pretty clear!

No comments: