Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Humility Redefined (Part 2)

Let me continue the rant that I started here...


Imagine you were trapped in a foreign country. You can't speak their language. You can't read their signs. You don't know anyone. You can't figure out their financial systems and you're broke, your Visa has expired and you're lost, lonely and confused. In a last ditch effort to try to get help and get back home you manage to find the American Embassy. When you walk in and flash your North Carolina ID and ask for help. The person looks back at you and says, "Well, I actually really like this country. In fact, I think the language is great. Why would you want to go back to America anyway? I think you should just stay here."


Isn't this exactly what we do with the gifts and talents that God has given to us? He causes us to be good with people, but in situation that really matters we disregard and disrespect God's gift in our life. People are visiting our churches and they don't get it, they don't know the language, and they're lost, lonely and confused and we give them the cold shoulder.



WOULD SOMEBODY STAND UP AND SAY,


"I'm good with people, let me stand at that door."


Or, "I am freakin' awesome with spreadsheets! I can't stand at that door, but dang it, I can create a spreadsheet that will walk to your house and make sure you're there."


Or, "I'm good with people, but I'm a much better leader. Let me lead the people who can stand at the door."


Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:20 that we are Christ's ambassadors but check out what he says before that in verse 12:


"We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than what is in the heart..."


In other words, If we don't show them who Christ is, no one else is doing it. Therefore, we need to polish our proverbial shoes, put on our best clothes, and get our speech right. God is looking to us to use the gifts He has bestowed on us for His glory and His kingdom. Quit poo-pooin' around and get on it!

No comments: