Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Humility Redefined (Part 3)

This whole rant started when I went to Starbucks the other day. I tend to enjoy a cup of coffee, and I have a particular weakness for Starbucks' coffee.



Over the past 4 months I have frequented the same Starbucks near my house and I always go in rather than use the drive through line for this reason: God has gifted me with an ability to build relationships - I'm good with people. I see it as my calling to reach out to people and make connections, so I intentionally put myself in situations where I can leverage (and hone) that gift.



So, over the past 4 months I have built a relationship with the Barista at this particular Starbucks named Kim. When she found out the other day that I was a Pastor at Elevation church this is what she said, "Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. You have such a nice way about you, and I'm glad that you are a pastor."



Here's is what I heard her say:



"John, you have faithfully represented Jesus Christ to me. I have served dozens of 'Christians' who have been selfishly curt and disrespectful and after 4 months of enjoying seeing you come in it makes me excited to know that you represent Him. Because, you see, I haven't been in church in a really long time, but I'm searching. In fact, I really want to believe that Jesus is who He says He is and the way that you have carried yourself has really helped. Thank you!"



Now, I know she didn't actually use these words, but as I found out, she has visited Elevation and loved it. But in talking with her, it became clear that she is overwhelmed with the idea of getting back to church. The fact that I was a nice guy REALLY helped her. I expect she will be coming to Elevation soon where Christ will have ample opportunity to touch her life.



Use your gift! God has plans that extend beyond what we can see. We need to give people every conceivable excuse to try out Christianity and get to know our Lord and there just isn't time for us to down-play our gifts. Use them to their fullest and start representing Christ well!



If you promise to read 2 Corinthians 5:11-21 with this newly established filter, then I think I'm done now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome, John!! I have a weakness for starbucks too. It's really bad when you have about 4 really close to you... Nice pictures of the little man too. He looks like the big man.:)

Josh Via said...

John, so glad I found your blog, dude. Great post, by the way. Your boy is adorable, man. I hope that you Heather are doing well. Sounds like things are going well. That's awesome, dude. Blessings man. love ya bro. .josh.

Brandy said...

Johnny boy!
I was so excited to read this! I have been talking to Kim for several months as well! God must have big plans for her... :)
Still love your blog!
Brandy

Jenn Eastman said...

I just found your blog and I think it's so great that you took time to get to know someone at starbucks! I also recently visited Elevation, and I loved it!