Thursday, June 19, 2008

How to Be a Good Husband

For 3 months Heather (my wonderful, gracious and forgiving wife) has been begging me to install the little clips that hold the cabinet doors shut so that our precious little boy won't sneak into them and drink caustic chemicals.

Reasonable request, right?

So, being a good husband, the other night, I bribed Erika's (my sister-in-law) boyfriend, Ben, into "helping" me install them. Here's how it went:

While I was sitting at the kitchen table balancing our check book, Ben struggled to install the clips all on his own. To my credit, I went and got him a drill, knocked all the screws off the counter, and regularly checked Ben's frustration level - I had every intention of "helping" if it got above a 7, I promise!

Ben did a fabulous job installing the clips and Jeremiah (who you can see over on the right of this blog...) was adequately frustrated the next day trying to get out the Clorox Clean-up.

The ironic thing about this story is that Ben installed the clips in about 20 minutes.

Hmmm...
Option 1: Spend 20 minutes intalling the clips and keep my son away from deadly chemicals and please my wife.

Option 2: Drag my feet for 3 months, risk my sons life, force Heather to stand guard at the kitchen sink 8 hours a day trying to keep my boy out of the "death closet", and then forfeit my 'husband credit' to someone else...

Sometimes I wonder why Heather doesn't schedule regular P.E.T. scans for me...

For all husbands out there, take a lesson from Ben. Just install the 'clips'! I mean seriously, what's wrong with me?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I have the most patient BF ever... I suppose he'd have to be to deal with me on a daily basis... hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hey John. Hope all is going well with you guys. Great to see you still have your handy man touch! Tell the fam. I said hey.

Anonymous said...

oops! See "the last Galations" for my comment on "how to be a good husband". I put it in the wrong place!

Unknown said...

I love it! :) Hey, at least it got done, right? And I don't think Ben minded, his frustration level peaked at a 4... :)

Beth Crosier said...

Whew! Grandma's relieved! Love you John - Love you Ben!!!

Annalee said...

Yes, good for Ben, but do you not feel guilty that you couldn't even do it yourself? You passed your duties on to someone else? And you watched him do it? Hhmmm...I think there certainly is a lesson to be learned here John-John.