Thursday, January 15, 2009

Is This the Right Quick Win?

Yesterday, I posted on an article I read in Harvard Business Review. Check my post out here to catch up.

The tool I described at the end of that post is on the right.
I challenged the team that leads the Butler Campus along side me with achieving a pretty lofty goal related to the number of volunteers on our campus. (Since we just launched a new service time we need to recruit more volunteers)
In order to ensure that our goal (90% new volunteers on Sun. pm teams by 2/9/09) was worthy of the time and effort we ran it through the grid on the right. At the end of the exercise, everyone agreed that it was at least a 9 and therefore worth our attention.
As there boss, I could have just said, "here's the goal, get it done" and they would have gotten it done. But I am not just interested in achieving today's goal but in laying the foundation for achieving tomorrow's. Since I believe I am only as good as the team I lead I am glad to have stumbled on a tool that can help me create that team while achieving necessary goals.

No comments: