Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Quick Wins Paradox



I read an article the other day in Harvard Business Review. It was about new leaders trying to prove themselves to everyone they lead and it was very challenging. You can check out the abstract here. Or get your own copy of the magazine for like 20 bucks!!!!

Basically, the article highlighted all of the mistakes I have made as a developing leader and listed them in order like they have been following me around for 3 years. The only thing missing from the article is pictures of me actually making the errors, otherwise it reads like an interview. My guess is, if you have lead anyone at any time you'll feel the same way after you read it...

The article outlines five traps that new leaders fall into:

1) Focusing too heavily on details - "Here's an inventory report I developed for your department...use it!"
2) Reacting negatively to criticism - "Then I'm just going to take my ball and go home..."
3) Intimidating others - "Do you like your job?"
4) Jumping to conclusions - "after 2 1/2 minutes of conversation I think we should throw away your system and start over..."
5) Micromanaging - "Do you think that color works? I mean, if I were developing that report I would use green not blue..."

The basic point of the article is that in order to establish yourself as a new leader you'll need to strive for that "quick win". Everyone is looking to the new leader to make a difference. If I hire you to work for me I want to know that I invested wisely and the right "quick win" can give me that confidence. The problem arises when you go about trying to achieve the "quick win" in the wrong way inevitably falling into one or more of traps above.


Instead, the article describes that the leaders who are successful focus on the following:

1) Communicating a clear vision
2) Developing constructive relationships
3) Demonstrating empathy
4) Play a hands-on role in developing team capabilities
5) Pull everyone together


Picking the right "quick win" becomes very important and the article provides a diagnostic tool that was exceedingly helpful. I'll post my thoughts about that tool tomorrow. In the meantime, if you're leading in any capacity, I would highly recommend the article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, John!