Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hope and a Future

If I told you that I knew a person whose actions were going to directly impact your future success or failure would you believe me? Would you want to meet this person?

What if I told you that by performing a single act of kindness you would be able to eradicate poverty in our city, would you believe me? Would you do it?

Here's the problem: It is very difficult to accept that extraordinary things can happen. Most of us live our lives day in and day out and don't ever experience extraordinary things. We have, by repeated exposure to regularness, gotten used to the status quo; we think that's all there is. We think things like, My family was dysfunctional yesterday and I don't see any way to change things today so I expect that it will be the same tomorrow. Or things like, that community has always had a crime issue and there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it so why bother. The problem is, that's just not the way God built His universe!

It's possible that God could use a single guy to free a nation from slavery. Or maybe, that he would use a kid's lunch to feed thousands of people. I've read stories about my God healing an ostracized blind man who then stood before the government officials in his city and created mass upheaval in a firmly entrenched religious system. Wasn't it our God that turned a rag-tag bunch of lowly renegade fishermen and tax collectors into a team of men that led the most revolutionary religious overthrow in history? Maybe I'm wrong but I think I remember a guy in Scripture who in a single moment was changed from the most zealous opponent of Christianity into a man who brought that message of hope to the rest of the world.

I don't know what God has in mind for your life. I don't even know what He has in mind for mine, but it seems to me that spending the rest of our lives acting as though there is no plan is a really crappy idea. If we agreed that God might have an extraordinary future for us and began structuring our life according to that belief what's the worst than could happen?

Maybe, if you're so blessed, you'd find yourself, like Mother Teresa, with nothing, in the midst of thousands of hurting children in a never ending pursuit to cure diseases, care for orphans, and feed the hungry. I might be a little off-center but isn't that better then making sure you catch the next season of your favorite TV show? Just a thought! (Jeremiah 29:11)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayer for all who read John's blog entry is that God would give them a revelation of this Truth! That HE DOES have plans for each of us! I pray that they look at whatever shortcomings they think they have or mistakes they have made in the past and ask God how HE can use it. God can work even the biggest mistake for good and when we are weak HE is strong. We just need to trust HIM and believe HIS Word! If everyone grasped that promise along with the power of the gospel, we would turn this world upside down for His glory! Come on everyone God has a plan for you! Let's agree with that and take over Charlotte for Christ! Are you with us?

Anonymous said...

Jeremiah 29:11- my favorite verse. Thanks John for the reminder of God's great plans, carried out by our obedience to Him.
Mom