Thursday, December 13, 2007

Under New Management

My Friend Greg Lineberger once made a profound observation that I'd like to share with you. On his way home from work he has to pass a Palm reader's shop. On this particular day there was a sign in the Palm reader's window that read:

"Under New Management"

As he was telling me about this incident he remarked - "I bet she didn't see that coming!"

(If you don't get it, you should probably find a different blog to read - because that's funny!)

Why do I think this is so funny? Well, maybe because it reflects me a lot more then I like to admit. It always seems like I'm the last one to notice the things that everyone else sees pretty easily. (For a better treatment of this topic you can read up on it here).

The truth is, we're all this way. Most of us think we're pulling one over on the world and that they can't tell our palm reader shop is falling into ruin. If we can live like we don't have it all figured out - even if we don't know how deep our ignorance runs - then we'll be more likely to accept needed correction and make changes. Proverbs 27:6 says wounds from a friend can be trusted but an enemy multiplies kisses.

I guess the point is pretty simple, Even if you're a great palm reader that doesn't garrauntee that you can run a good business. For those of us that don't claim to see the future, it seems like a wise position to stay open to help from those around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was darn funny. I miss you and Heather already and you're not gone yet! Enjoy your vacation and please keep blogging ;)