Friday, December 7, 2007

Mommy, Who's That Guy In The Attic?

Welcome to Friday's Fun Family Fact...



Disclaimer: all of the details in this story are true and verified via a link in order to satisfy the skeptics. It has been 20 years since they actually transpired, however, so there is the slight possibility that if you were to get the story directly from other characters in it, some of the details might be conveyed slightly differently. In this way my blog entry is like the four Gospels. Four unique perspectives results in four unique stories - most of the details are the same, but provided from completely different perspectives.



The back story:



My mom is one of the most welcoming, kind, loving, open-armed and forgiving people on the planet. In that way, she has been cut from the mold that produced people like Mother Teressa - able to cheerfully trudge through suffering in third world countries while enduring hardship for the sake of reaching out to people less fortunate. As a result of this God-given gift I, as the 8 year old participant in this story, was exposed to a very wide spectrum of different personalities. From the vegan virtuoso violinist named Baldo to the fund-raiser candy stealing starving artist up from New York city named Willum, I saw it all. Perhaps you will be able to meet these other characters in future Friday's Fun Family Facts, but in keeping with the minor Attic theme established here, This FFFF will feature the man from the Attic, John Peter O'Grady.



One morning I woke up to find out that my mom had invited a man to come live in our Attic. I don't know why, I would imagine that there was some good reason, but as an 8 year old it didn't concern me so I never asked. The man in the attic's name was John Peter O'Grady (and, Yes, you have to say all three names together). We all loved John Peter O'Grady. He ate dinners with us. He entered through the same kitchen door we did. He enjoyed the fruit of our families labor. He found a cozy home in our Attic.



Who is John Peter O'Grady you ask? Well, he was the leader of the Camden 28 an antiwar political activist group that broke into a draft office in the 70's in protest of our countries position on something - I'm not sure it matters what, I don't want you to lose sight of the fact that he is living in my attic. So, the spiritual application for this blog is as follows: you never know who the guy in the attic was before he got into your attic, but chances are, the fact that he's in the attic suggests that you should probably ask!


Thanks! Tune in Monday for something important...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell working with you won't ever become boring.