Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Very Humbling Calling

I have been going through a major personal and spiritual overhaul since I became a staff member at Elevation Church.

The thing that has caused me the most grief has been agreeing with God that He didn't make a mistake placing me in this position.

The most humbling aspect of my job is, hands down, the people I lead. I could list hundreds volunteers who have life experiences, positions of influence, wisdom, skills, talents and a level of spiritual maturity that puts me to shame.

What I have finally come to grips with, however, is that there is no one else on the planet that has been called to do what He has called me to do in this season, at this church. Not because of how great I am but because of His great plans and purposes. And that is very humbling!

What in your life is undeniably the hand of God? If you don't have an answer then you need to position yourself to get one. If you do have an answer, don't lose sight of the fact that it's a gift. Don't ever lose sight of the fact that apart from the blessing of God there's not much left.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well John, All I can say is you have hit not a homerun but a grand slam with this one (for your reference that's a baseball term!)I am humbled often by this thought as I encounter those God places in my life. This is an incredible way to face life, knowing we all have something to give. Your an example to me.
CP

Erica said...

John,
Wonderful post. I thank God for placing you in this position for this season. It is an honor to serve with you and to follow your lead. Even in the difficult moments, God gets glory!

Anonymous said...

john, i read this earlier this week but wanted to come back and post my thought:
you are such a humble leader. thanks for leading us with such integrity and humility.

jess

hcfischer1 said...

John, It's your humility that is refreshing. I know way too many pastor's that think they are a gift to God.