Friday, November 9, 2007

Tee-Pees, Placentas and Rose Bushes

The following entry is actually true! Although I occasionally wonder how I made it into functioning society to be able to relay it to you...

So there I was innocently minding my own business -- 14 years old, riding to the store on a routine trip to pick up last minute medical supplies for my mom who had stayed behind in the Tee-Pee with the mid-wives who were preparing her for the birth of my youngest sister, Elspeth; my mother's eighth child -- when my step-father started pointing frantically at the windshield and asking me if I saw it!

The best description I could get out of him as he was flailing his arms and swerving the rickety truck all over the country road was, "Don't you see that light?" His attempts to orient me in the vast universe of possible-things-he-could-have-been-pointing-at were thwarted by the fact that I had never heard of Aurora Borealis (a.k.a. the Northern Lights) so I did not know to look at the sky. As a result, I was left severely underwhelmed by a porch light that did not seem to justify my step-father's frantic - although not particularly abnormal - behavior.

Despite my uncertainty of the reason for doing so, we 'whipped a U-ee' in the middle of the street and headed back to the Tee-Pee. Five minutes later we were all standing on top of Blakeslee Hill on Comfort Road in Newfield, NY staring at the most spectacular display of colors and shooting stars I have ever seen. It really was an amazing spectacle! (only slightly lessened by the periodic groans of my laboring mother...)

The next morning my little sister was born. About 3 minutes later the Placenta was born. And in keeping with all standard medical practices we buried the placenta in the back yard under a wild rose bush. I think there might have been bagpipes to celebrate the moment, but that would require far too much description for this entry.

And that concludes the first Friday's-Fun-Family-Fact blog post. Tune in next Friday for a special pre-Thanksgiving entry with tips on what to do with the little green sack that's attached to the end of a turkey's large intestine...

9 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Tee Pee? Buring placenta's? 8 kids? Bagpipes? Hey for those of us who don't you, you must one day elaborate on your upbringing.....sounds unique!

Beth Crosier said...

John, As your Father-in-law I feel the need to give you fair warning. If my name and or stories appear on your blog, such as Mark's have, I will have no other choice but to share with your readers, stories about you. Such as the one your brother Nate shared at your wedding about the stains on the ceiling.
Dad

Anonymous said...

john, this is...i mean, wow. any post that has "placenta" in the title is going to be good...but your post, john...good to GREAT!

jess

Unknown said...

Are you serious? What have I gotten myself into? Wow. There is no way to top that story.

Robert Summers said...

I don't even know what to say about that. You are a very odd cookie Mr. Bishop :-)

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

John, I saw this article and immediately thought of your post. Science, it seems, is catching up with what your family already knew - there's something special about that placenta!

Placenta 'fools body's defences'

Annalee said...

John, The placenta part is a bit disturbing...but don't forget that I know the story about the stained ceiling, too...and many more stories at that...

Anonymous said...

John, that truly is bizare! But very interesting. There certainly is more to you than meets the eye. I look forward to further revelations!