Sunday, November 4, 2007

Why Wait for Tomorrow?

That's a really good question! It actually has at least two good answers:

The first answer is:

You need the extra time to get through whatever would cause you to make a bad decision today.


I know you have never been in a situation where someone has told you to "cool off before you say that", or "put it away and look at it in the morning". But for most of us, this is really good advice and we should take it. I would guess that we could avoid a lot of stupid decisions if we'd just take a day to think about the direction our circumstances are leading us.

I had a mentor tell me one time that I should never make major decisions in the storm. He said, "It's cloudy! You're best bet is to follow the coordinates that you had before you entered the storm when you could still see clearly." I think that's pretty good advice. If the situation never gets better you may be forced to make your best guess using the instruments in the cockpit, but more than likely you'll find that after the storm is gone it wasn't quite as fierce as you thought it was. You'll probably be glad that you stayed on course!

So what about the second answer to our question? Well, this post is already getting too long, so the second answer will have to wait for tomorrow!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good entry. I like the analogy to flying! But actually I like what you said about staying with the course through the storm.