Thursday, November 15, 2007

Words...

So I have always had an obsession with words! (I know, very nerdy. I'm okay with that...) From my vantage point, how could someone not get excited about the the word: obsequious - meaning to accommodate oneself to the will of another. Or a word like anthropomorphism - you need to look that one up yourself.

Another amazing thing about words to me is that, at least in English, sometimes they can be very tricky.

For instance, there could be a bandage wound around a wound, or you may have read on a reed parchment that you shouldn't read in red light. Maybe, though all the way through you had a rough time thoroughly cleaning the trough, you thought enough to do what you ought. I'm just saying... There is also the classic: to take two is too many, but over there they're always ready for theirs.

As a final plug for the world of word lovers I leave you with my all time favorite word, famous in my small and unimportant world for it's incredible length: pneumonultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. Of course, there is considerable controversy around this particular word, some don't believe it to be a real word at all, but, again, I'm okay with that...

4 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I can honestly say I can't even pronounce the three words that are in this blog. I'm sure you know which ones I mean. I noticed your "words" in your other posts, I'm glad you let us in on your "word obsession". I was starting to feel inferior in the "word" department.

Adam Griffin said...

I once wrote a comic of my dog in which he asked me to stop anthropomorphizing him, so I did and he just started barking. Weird huh?

Unknown said...

How do you come up with this stuff???

Annalee said...

John! Do you remember the day we learned that word?? Well, I like to throw it in as a bonus word to my fifth graders (mostly just to make myself feel superior), but this year, one of them already knew it! I guess that's what you get for teaching the medical researchers son!