Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Thrill Of The Chase

My dog, Oliver, has a favorite toy. The design of this toy is very simple. There is a boot lace, a little stuffed rabbit with a squeaker in it, and a swiffer handle. One end of the boot lace is tied to the end of the swiffer handle while the other end is tied to the rabbits leg. The design of this particular toy is such that if I sit on the couch I can flick my wrist and send my dog all over the living room in hot pursuit of the little rabbit. The most beautiful part of this toy is that after about 10 minutes of leaping from the couch to the floor in vain pursuit of the little rabbit, my wire-haired Jack Russel Terrier can hardly walk from exhaustion - earning us about a hour of peace.

Here's the irony: every other time I have bought a little squeaker toy and given it to Oliver he will chew on it for about 32 seconds and then walk away never to return. He's just not interested in a toy that lays there, he wants something to chase.

I think I am a lot more like my dog then I like to admit, and if you were honest you probably are too. Aren't we guilty of only pursuing the things that we can't have while we leave the things we've been given in the corner to collect dust? Just a thought...

No comments: